Monday, April 7, 2014

[Australia] - "New push for adoption rights in South Australia" by Matt Akersten

An online petition calling on South Australia’s Premier to legalise adoption for same sex couples is picking up hundreds of signatures.

In recent years, adoption laws have been altered to allow same-sex couples to jointly adopt children in New South Wales, the ACT, Western Australia and Tasmania. It is still not allowed in Queensland, the Northern Territory, South Australia and in Victoria however.

“I live in South Australia with my family,” says Shaun, who started the online petition for a change to the law. “I am a dad and I am a gay. My husband and I have been together for 10 years, we are in a committed partnership. We adopted our sons who are aged 4 and 2 years, in the UK between the years 2011-2013.

Read More at Same Same

No comments: